Mother Siobhan Redmond will soon be paying more than her monthly mortgage for childcare for her two children.
Ms Redmond, from Killester, Dublin, believes the Government should further assist families and the childcare industry in tandem to create a well-run system for all.
The 35-year-old financial professional is currently on maternity leave after giving birth to her three-month-old son Pearse.
In August next year, Pearse will join older brother Christopher, aged two-and-a-half, in childcare when Ms Redmond returns to work.
“Full-time childcare is €850 for one,” Ms Redmond said.
“As far as we know, that will be doubled next year when Pearse goes into childcare.
“That’s more than our monthly mortgage payments, despite subsidies. It’s a costly figure.
“Where my two children will be in childcare is cheap compared to friends, who are paying up to €1,300 a month in southside Dublin.
“Such expense is putting some parents off having a third child.
“The financial costs of childcare are just too high.”
Ms Redmond and her husband Brian, who runs Redmond Electrical in East Wall, Dublin, have acknowledged that due to the cost of childcare, they will have to cut spending.
However, Ms Redmond feels those who work in childcare should be paid well for the “important job of looking after the most precious people in our lives, our children”.
She believes many aren’t paid fairly at all.
Article Source: http://tinyurl.com/kbwqb42
- Mum-run firms organise pop-up event to encourage shoppers to buy local this Black Friday
- Adrian Weckler: ‘Why cities bend over for tech’
- One in three Irish SMEs targeted by fraud
- Foreign legion: Just 3pc of men who move abroad are doing it to follow their partner’s career path
- Monday 12 November 2018 Why can’t I add son to our car’s policy?
- 21 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1
- +353 1 855 4188
- +353 1 836 6550
- 14 Nov 2018Mum-run firms organise pop-up event to encourage shoppers to buy local this Black Friday
- 14 Nov 2018Adrian Weckler: ‘Why cities bend over for tech’
- 14 Nov 2018One in three Irish SMEs targeted by fraud
- 12 Nov 2018Foreign legion: Just 3pc of men who move abroad are doing it to follow their partner’s career path
- 12 Nov 2018Monday 12 November 2018 Why can’t I add son to our car’s policy?