High housing costs key driver of wage demands, conference told
HIGH rents and housing costs are driving wage demands that have become the biggest single challenge facing businesses, according to Kevin Sheridan, managing director of Sheridan Cheesemongers.
“Rising wages puts pressure on staff numbers and has a ripple effect through the business – I think this comes from the housing crisis,” Mr Sheridan said..
“We need it fixed and fixed sustainability,” he added.
Mr Sheridan set up the cheese business with his brother in 1995.
He said that at the time there were “no jobs – rents were low so people were setting up small businesses”.
He was speaking at the ‘Family Business Values’ conference at Dublin City University yesterday, which focused on the unique experience of family-owned firms. The legacy of the late Feargal Quinn, who died last week, was remembered by a number of speakers at the event.
Speaking at the event, Keeling Fruit’s Caroline Keeling said the group was now having to deal with issues which were not a factor 15 years ago, such as sustainability and the environment.
She said the preference in choosing a leader for a family-owned business would always be for family members, but “the biggest thing is to protect the business”
Article Source: Click Here
- Card spending continued to rise in second quarter
- Committee recommends broadband network remain in public ownership
- Average monthly rents hit record level for 13th quarter in a row – report
- Stock markets higher on hopes for stimulus, trade progress
- Threshold, USI call on Govt for scheme to protect rental deposits
- 21 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1
- +353 1 855 4188
- +353 1 836 6550
- 22 Aug 2019Card spending continued to rise in second quarter
- 22 Aug 2019Committee recommends broadband network remain in public ownership
- 22 Aug 2019Average monthly rents hit record level for 13th quarter in a row – report
- 21 Aug 2019Stock markets higher on hopes for stimulus, trade progress
- 21 Aug 2019Threshold, USI call on Govt for scheme to protect rental deposits