Road freight tonnage increased by 1.4% in 2018
A total of 149.2 million tonnes of goods was transported by road last year, new figures from the Central Statistics Office show, an increase of 1.4% on the 2017 total.
But the CSO said that activity measured as weight by distance was 11,445 tonne-kilometres in 2018, a decrease of 2.7% compared with 2017.
The total distance covered by road freight transport in 2018 was 1.6 billion kilometres.
The commodity group “Quarry products, metal ores and peat” represented 28.1% of all tonnes carried during the year.
Today’s CSO figures also show that a total of 32.8 million tonnes of goods was transported by road in the fourth quarter of 2018 – a drop of 7.9% on the same time in 2017.
There were an estimated 118,032 Irish registered goods vehicles (greater than 2 tonnes unladen weight) operating in Ireland and abroad in 2018.
This marked an 8.8% increase on 2017.
Article Source: Click Here
- 21 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1
- +353 1 855 4188
- +353 1 836 6550
- 16 Oct 2019Ireland sees 12% increase in brand value – survey
- 16 Oct 2019Fear of ‘difficult’ tenants driving landlords out of market – RTB
- 15 Oct 2019Activity in construction industry sees first slowdown in 6 years
- 15 Oct 2019Dublin market heading for big gain on Brexit hopes
- 15 Oct 2019China imports, exports down in September as growth cools