Planning permission granted for Wicklow data centre
An Bord Pleanála has granted planning permission to Echelon Data Centres as the company moves forward with plans to build a 100MW, 484,000 sq ft facility at the Avoca River Business Park in Arklow, Co. Wicklow.
Wicklow County Council originally granted planning permission in February 2019, a decision subject to an appeal that has since been dismissed.
The €500m development will create 540 jobs – 450 construction positions and 90 full-time operational roles.
Local support is widespread for a facility expected to attract employers and investors to the area.
Echelon expressed a commitment to power their data centres with 100% green and renewable solutions, such as wind, solar and bio-mass.
Graham McWilliams, COO of Echelon Data Centres, welcomed the An Bord Pleanála decision.
“The decision removes a significant uncertainty for us and clears the path to delivering a facility that will enhance Ireland’s developing data centre offer, meeting a growing demand from global organisations in ecommerce, telecommunications, digital broadcasting, AI and the internet of things,” he said.
Pat Casey, Fianna Fáil TD for Wicklow and Deputy Spokesperson on Urban Renewal and Housing, also voiced support for the decision.
“This is fantastic news for not only Arklow but also the entire South Wicklow region,” he said. “The development of the iconic IFI site at the Avoca River Park as one of Ireland’s largest data centres is the beginning of a new, high-tech era for South Wicklow.”
Article Source: Click Here
- Card spending continued to rise in second quarter
- Committee recommends broadband network remain in public ownership
- Average monthly rents hit record level for 13th quarter in a row – report
- Stock markets higher on hopes for stimulus, trade progress
- Threshold, USI call on Govt for scheme to protect rental deposits
- 21 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1
- +353 1 855 4188
- +353 1 836 6550
- 22 Aug 2019Card spending continued to rise in second quarter
- 22 Aug 2019Committee recommends broadband network remain in public ownership
- 22 Aug 2019Average monthly rents hit record level for 13th quarter in a row – report
- 21 Aug 2019Stock markets higher on hopes for stimulus, trade progress
- 21 Aug 2019Threshold, USI call on Govt for scheme to protect rental deposits