Planning permission granted for Wicklow data centre
An Bord Pleanála has granted planning permission to Echelon Data Centres as the company moves forward with plans to build a 100MW, 484,000 sq ft facility at the Avoca River Business Park in Arklow, Co. Wicklow.
Wicklow County Council originally granted planning permission in February 2019, a decision subject to an appeal that has since been dismissed.
The €500m development will create 540 jobs – 450 construction positions and 90 full-time operational roles.
Local support is widespread for a facility expected to attract employers and investors to the area.
Echelon expressed a commitment to power their data centres with 100% green and renewable solutions, such as wind, solar and bio-mass.
Graham McWilliams, COO of Echelon Data Centres, welcomed the An Bord Pleanála decision.
“The decision removes a significant uncertainty for us and clears the path to delivering a facility that will enhance Ireland’s developing data centre offer, meeting a growing demand from global organisations in ecommerce, telecommunications, digital broadcasting, AI and the internet of things,” he said.
Pat Casey, Fianna Fáil TD for Wicklow and Deputy Spokesperson on Urban Renewal and Housing, also voiced support for the decision.
“This is fantastic news for not only Arklow but also the entire South Wicklow region,” he said. “The development of the iconic IFI site at the Avoca River Park as one of Ireland’s largest data centres is the beginning of a new, high-tech era for South Wicklow.”
Article Source: Click Here
- Dublin Port’s trade with Europe spikes as Brexit takes toll on UK
- Car sales in Europe get late-year boost helped by incentives
- Soaring gold price leads to a refining boom
- Housing costs push 2019 inflation rate up to 0.9% – CSO
- Central Bank announces consumer and investor protection priorities for 2020
- 21 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1
- +353 1 855 4188
- +353 1 836 6550
- 20 Jan 2020Dublin Port’s trade with Europe spikes as Brexit takes toll on UK
- 20 Jan 2020Car sales in Europe get late-year boost helped by incentives
- 20 Jan 2020Soaring gold price leads to a refining boom
- 17 Jan 2020Housing costs push 2019 inflation rate up to 0.9% – CSO
- 17 Jan 2020Central Bank announces consumer and investor protection priorities for 2020