‘Palpable’ risk of no-deal Brexit remains – Juncker
European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said there was a “palpable” risk of a no-deal Brexit and progress on replacing the backstop could not be made to reach a deal until the UK submitted written proposals.
Speaking at the European Parliament, he said “the risk of a no-deal remains real” but that would be the choice of the UK government.
“I said to Prime Minister [Boris] Johnson that I have no emotional attachment to the safety net, to the backstop, but I stated that I stand by the objectives that it is designed to achieve,” he said.
“That is why I called on the Prime Minister to come forward with operational proposals, in writing, for practical steps which would allow us to achieve those objectives.
“Until such time as those proposals have been presented I will not be able to tell you, looking you straight in the eye, that any real progress has been achieved.”
Article Source: Click here
- 21 Belvedere Place, Dublin 1
- +353 1 855 4188
- +353 1 836 6550
- 16 Oct 2019Ireland sees 12% increase in brand value – survey
- 16 Oct 2019Fear of ‘difficult’ tenants driving landlords out of market – RTB
- 15 Oct 2019Activity in construction industry sees first slowdown in 6 years
- 15 Oct 2019Dublin market heading for big gain on Brexit hopes
- 15 Oct 2019China imports, exports down in September as growth cools